Tuesday 17 March 2009

Dubai Lynx: Remain Calm

I feel like Michael Palin in Full Circle. I just arrived in Dubai after a two-day rampage through Rome where I spoke at the UPA Summit. The theme there, like the unofficial theme here in Dubai, was "Everything is changing, shall we change everything?"

Rome was an ultra-calm conference, where contemplating the extreme changes happening in the media world was done over delicious Chianti. I suppose it is hard to debate the future of the media and advertising business when buildings dating back to the beginning of Roman civilization surround you. Change in Rome is not available at Trussardi.

Four and a half hours later, courtesy of Emirates Airlines, I arrived in Dubai -- the complete opposite of Rome. The million-person city was built in the last ten years. The airport is scintillatingly modern. Sparkling pillars, titanium walkways and giant palm trees growing in huge crystal flower boxes. The airport has huge glass walls with lights embedded in them. I have no clue how they've done this technically since there are no wires. Small touches always impress me, like lines of modern elevators whisking you down comfortably to customs. And polite and welcoming customs officials. Nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment