Friday 22 May 2009

Saudi women push for business equality

Saudi women attend the Jeddah Economic Forum i...Image by AFP/Getty Images via Daylife

Alia Banja, a Saudi businesswoman in Jeddah, had had enough of the “general manager” of her company. But rather than simply sack him, she has shut her IT business and is now pressing the Saudi government to abolish a requirement that female-run companies which deal with both sexes have to employ a male general manager.

“My business was growing and I had to protect myself,” said Ms Banja, whose company, 2Thepoint, develops websites and provides information technology services. “I cannot give anyone the power to sign or cancel deals without my knowledge – not when I’m the one bearing all the risk.”

Islamic law permits women to own and operate their own businesses and to maintain financial independence. However, as a result of gender segregation in the conservative kingdom, women cannot enter many government offices and face a risk of detention by the religious police, or mutawa, if they meet male customers.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment