Sunday 14 November 2010

How Leighton Holdings dodged disaster in Dubai | The Australian

TWENTY-EIGHT days after arriving in Dubai to take over as chief executive of Al Habtoor Leighton Group, Laurie Voyer smelt trouble.

The world had yet to experience the full force of the global financial crisis, but he did the numbers and decided to pull back.

"Eighteen months ago we were flying pretty high, and I didn't think we should be flying as high as we were, so I slowed it all down," he tells The Australian.

"I did my own assessment of where I thought we were, from all the echoes in the room I could hear, and I used that as my depth of the water. Having been here for only 28 days, people said 'what would I know?' I guess my experience in Australia would mean I'd know enough to keep us out of trouble, and I was able to navigate through those channels and put the handbrake on."

No comments:

Post a Comment