Monday 27 December 2010

How Did Kuwait SE Perfrom in 2010? « Alpha Dinar- talking GCC finance


Well there is no one answer to the question above, as it depends on the index you are looking at. By looking at the price index (the most popular index in Kuwait), you will find that the returns for the year, including dividends is a mere 0.2%. But if you look at the weighted index (my preference), you would find that the mark returned a hefty 25.7%, including dividends, beating global markets (US 12.7% , UK 11%, France -2.3%, Germany 16.7%, Japan -1.8%, and Hong Kong 4.4% among others) as well as regional peers (Saudi Arabia 7.5%, Qatar 25.3%, Dubai -11%, and Abu Dhabi -1.8%).
Again the difference between the two indices is that the price index gives smaller companies a bigger weight in the index versus the weighted index, which takes into account the market cap of the company. I also included the MSCI Kuwait, which returned 33.4% so far this year. This index takes into account the stock’s market cap as well as liquidity (i.e. what percentage of the share is free floating and not held by cornerstone investors).
The key lesson here is that this year, the price index was dragged down by small cap companies that have been hit badly by the financial crisis and haven’t recovered yet. If you had invested in blue chip stocks (NBK, KFH, Zain, etc.) would would have been better off.

5 comments:

  1. Nice post. I was inspection constantly this blog and I am daunted! Very useful in turn particularly the last part Smile I care for such in sequence much. I was looking for this fastidious information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it is my good luck in real, as I was searching something else on internet and I am here to your blog by chance and I must say it is a good site buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello , I like your post “wrap-up. And this blog is very relevant to my desires. And over all a nice blog as post, I will visit again and thanks for sharing your blog with all of us, very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, This Post is very much relevant and Informatics. I was in search of such kinda stuff. So, I like this, what You have shared. Thanks a lot ,,. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job to share such a nice sharing.I'm undoubtedly Happy to find this. It's a great blog and nice to come across your blog.

    ReplyDelete