Monday 7 October 2013

President Traian Băsescu says shale gas to bring energy independence to Romania

President Traian Băsescu says shale gas to bring energy independence to Romania:

"Romanian President Traian Băsescu announced during a television broadcast that “I have one year and a few month and I finish my mandate so I will not be in office when Romania will eventually produce its first cubic meter of shale gas or when the first cubic meter of gas from the Black Sea will be sold. I want to say something Romanians should remember: the goal of our policies in the energy field should be the energy independence. This type of independence was very important for me and as such, as the one responsible for Romania’s foreign policy, I have refused any contact with South Stream project and I wagered everything on Nabucco. Nabucco never came to be, but this does not mean we will abandon the idea of energy independence.”

Băsescu acknowledged there are environmental risks, as nothing is without risk, but Romania has already exploited shale gas, indirectly referring to Romgaz: “If we want to be truthful, we are talking about it in Romania now, but shale gas has been exploited with older technologies, at shallower depths. It was done in Romania a long time ago.”"

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment