Wednesday 18 June 2014

Ukraine Facing Backlash From FX Borrowers Sunk by Hryvnia - Bloomberg

Ukraine Facing Backlash From FX Borrowers Sunk by Hryvnia - Bloomberg:



"As central Kiev burned amid deadly street protests in February, Ukraine’s currency dived and Alex Bukovetskiy stopped paying his dollar-based mortgage. 




The 41-year-old joined hundreds of angry borrowers at parliament last week to demand the authorities provide relief after the hryvnia lost a third of its value in two months. Payments to Universal Bank on his flat in the capital’s suburbs have jumped 40 percent to $1,250 since President Viktor Yanukovych was toppled.



“I don’t have that kind of money,” Bukovetskiy, who’d been dipping into savings to pay his mortgage after losing his marketing job last autumn, said June 5 by phone. “I’m not hiding from my bank. I’m ready to pay but I want a compromise.”"



'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment