Wednesday 28 December 2011

Someone has to see that justice is done - The National

Amna Al Owais is just one of two people from around the world to receive an honourable mention for a Young Lawyer of the Year Award from the International Bar Association. The deputy registrar and small claims tribunal registrar for the Courts at Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) discusses the challenges of rolling out a free legal advisory scheme, and how to boost the number of female Emiratis in the legal profession.

How did you end up at the DIFC Courts when you started working in law about six years ago?

The court was up and running when I was doing my master's in the UK. I got a call from a judge here, and he said "we opened a common law court and we are targeting Emiratis who have a common law background". That was a very appealing role for me. I started as a junior person, in an admin role, then was the first UAE national on the registry side.

No comments:

Post a Comment